Southeast Weld Fire Protection District would like to take the time to remind homeowners/businesses to take steps to help prevent potentially fatal carbon monoxide poisoning.
Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas that is produced by incomplete combustion in home heating systems, gas ovens, dryers, fireplaces and automobile engines. Prolonged exposure to carbon monoxide can be fatal.
The symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are flu-like and often include headache, sleepiness, weakness, vomiting, dizziness and tightness in the chest. If you or your family experiences these symptoms: Call 911 or seek emergency medical attention. Stop using the suspected gas appliance immediately and call Atmos Energy’s Emergency hotline at 1.866.322.8667. Do not use the appliance until it has been inspected, serviced and determined to be safe by a qualified plumber or a heating contractor.